Sunday, August 13, 2006

Tagged--not it

Lazy Sunday morning (ha!) before heading on a plane Tuesday to the UK. Lots of prayers and happy thoughts that we make it across without incident.

Legion tagged me (argh) and since it's about books, I thought I might be able to answer. Perhaps. Althought when I think of books, everything intelligent (if there ever was anything there) goes out of my head. I'll try

1. One book that changed your life: Diaries of Anais Nin. I learned that it's okay to write about erotica and intimacy. Of course, now that I read what I wrote back then, it's a little sophomoric, but hey, it was in a formative time period. Another book was Skylight (well, it's a play) by David Hare. Love the structure, the minimalism. Lots of influence on my dramatic writing style.

2. One book that you have read more than once: Harry Potter (all of them) at least three times each, if not more.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Uhhh, nothing's coming to mind. A big, empty journal? Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

4. One book that made you laugh: Lamb: the complete word of God according to Christ's childhood friend Biff. Hysterical. And Bridget Jones's Diary.

5. One book that made you cry: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. So freaking sad. Hard to stop crying.

6. One book you wish would have been written: How to Sleep, Be a Mom of Two Children, Be a Wife, and Still Pursue Your Artistic Passions (or how to clone yourself and retain control of all the clones, while simultaneously enjoying the experiences of each clone as if they were your own).

7. One book you wish had never been written: The Mayor of Casterbridge. Thomas Hardy. One of the most boring things I have ever been subjected to. And as an English and French Lit major, and a lit teacher, I've been exposed to a LOT.

8. One book you are currently reading: Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Wanted to remember what all the fuss was about.

9. One book you have been meaning to read: Uhhh... I read when I mean to. When I have time. Not often. Dickens? I don't know.

10. Tag some others: curb girl, lucy.


And legion, you should start with Ulysses (if you haven't already read it) before Finnegan's Wake. I've heard the latter is utterly incomprehensible, but the former is more so with assistance. I can recommend some resources... :)

4 comments:

Will said...

I've already read Ullyses, read it about three years ago. :) That was a milestone for 40. Finnegan's Wake is 60 so I have a while. I hope. What is scary is that Ullyses took me over a year to read it was difficult and dense, FW is supposed to be inifinitely more complex. Sigh.

What really cracked me up about your list was that you named two of my least favorite authors EVER. That is just too funny. Opposite ends of the spectrum we are, isn't that what makes the world go round?

Applecart T. said...

is lovely bones the one about the woman who keeps dreaming about the baby named pepsi?

Applecart T. said...

i did it. . . .it's on my page on another page. . .

miss your posts!

hearmysong said...

i must confess that i had help with ulysses. i did an independent study while working on my (now abandoned) master's degree.

i'm curious, legion, which two authors were your least favorite. i'm guessing jane austen and jk rowling?

curb girl, i read your response on your other blog. thanks!

lovely bones was narrated from beyond the grave by a girl who was raped and killed. not light stuff, and based on autobio stuff from alice sebold. not one i would have chosen, but...