Sunday, January 17, 2010

What I Read in 2009

I wish I had kept a list during the year, but it became too tedious to do so. I will try to recreate, just to get an idea for myself. These are in no particular order. I may add annotations later.

Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs--bizarre fiction. Definitely like his memoir stuff better.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown--predictable, inhalable, forgettable

I, Alex Cross by James Patterson--Cross becomes human. It was nice to see.

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde--love his stuff. Prefer the other series (Thursday Next) but he's so damned clever it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde--read this out of order but still liked it.

Couples by John Updike (didn't finish)--couldn't finish. too boring

Swimsuit by James Patterson

Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

The 8th Confession by James Patterson

Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris by Sarah Turnbull--so good. I could really relate.

The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy--indulgent and fun.

The Know-It-All : One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs--loved it. He is so freaking funny. Can't wait to read the rest of his stuff.

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout--weird story but I like the style and the set-up. That's why she won the prize--not because of the content.

The Shadow in the North by Philip Pullman--I liked this series better than the Golden Compass series.

The Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman

Secret Lives Of The First Ladies: What Your Teachers Never Told You About The Women of The White House by Cormac O'Brien--the book on the presidents was better

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld--poor Laura Bush!

The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman

Run for Your Life by James Patterson

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde--loved this one. It had Hamlet as a major character, which is always a plus in my book.

Why I'm Like This: True Stories by Cynthia Kaplan--meh. just okay.

Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire--felt like filler between Wicked and the next one, which I have yet to read. Kinda like the second Matrix movie.

To My Dearest Friends by Patricia Volk--I should read it again in 30 years. I was too young this time.

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell--second time I read it. Didn't remember reading it. There's a reason for that.

The Night Villa by Carol Goodman--beautiful

The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips

The Gate House by Nelson DeMille

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs--funny

Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille

When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris--I love him. Everything he touches turns to funny.



I'm sure there are others, but this is a start. Thirty-two. I expected more. But again, I might be missing some.

No comments: