Friday, September 15, 2006

$76??? Who are they kidding?

Short post today, as work beckons. At least I have work to beckon. I found this in CityBeat's cool issue (let's not talk about the title):

Humorist author David Sedaris presents his spoken word show at Procter & Gamble Hall. 7:30 p.m. $76-$125. Aronoff Center, 650 Walnut St., Downtown. 513-721-3344.

I would love, love, love to hear and see David Sedaris in person. I am sure that there are many, many others like me in the area who would. But who can afford this ticket price? I know Annie Proulx, when she hit the tri-state, was (is? can't remember if that speaking engagement has happened yet) $125 a ticket, but it was a benefit for the mercantile library.

I'm sure some of this is Ticketmaster and other corporate management charges, but if Sedaris really caters to his demo, how many of us can afford this ticket price???

Sigh. I will just re-read Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim with a cuppa and wish for more work. :)

1 comment:

Applecart T. said...

it's like the time i read that clothes from j.jill were marketed to educated, upper class women. ie: not me. doh. however, following the great american habit of debt, i bought/buy them anyway (often on sale) and go from there.

seinfeld was expensive, too. (i didn't go.) i like that Rainy Day Books sponsors major writers at cheap (and you can/used to be able to get these admission tickets elsewhere for free or through the university). seems fair to have you buy a book to get in.

this should be motivating us to become "major writers" with books so that we can go on cushy speaking tours.