Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Boyz in the Catholic Hood

So I DVR'ed this movie last week and it has taken me about three or four sittings to get through it--not because it's not interesting, but because I simply don't have time anymore to sit and watch a movie from start to finish. But anyway, it was surprisingly good.

"The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys" reminded me in a way of "Dead Poets Society" and other 'boy club,' coming of age films. The story was a bit disturbing, but no more so than in DPS or "Stand By Me" or simliar fare. I hadn't ever witnessed Emile Hirsch on film (or anywhere) before, and I thought he was great. He reminded me a little of James Dean, but I'm not sure why. I mean, his character's name was Francis, yet he managed to be very cool in a non-stereotypical way.

Anyway, I would recommend the film. Highly. The animation sequences are also very cool; I like the way they are used to advance the story and play out scenes in the boys' imaginations.

Short post today, as I am way behind in my work.

I did get a run in today--wee hah! Short and slow but I got it in before the rain started. I feel good-tired for a change, instead of just exhausted-tired. Legion would say that if he's not exhausted-tired, he didn't work hard enough. I will remind him that I have only just begun to run again, so good-tired is good enough for me!

Oh, and for those keeping track, DS is doing better. The chest xray was clear, he doesn't appear to have asthma, and the ENT we saw today said that she thinks he has reflux. Little guy has to take Baby Zantac for two weeks to see if that helps with the snorting and the coughing. Fingers crossed that it's that and not bronichiolitis or another icky -itis for which there is no "cure."

1 comment:

Will said...

I thought it was a great movie. I saw it a couple of years ago and really liked it. Vincent D'nofrio is the man!

[quote]Legion would say that if he's not exhausted-tired, he didn't work hard enough.[/quote]

Ahem. I beg to differ. On fartlek or interval training Legion might say this but on base building, steady runs, you don't want to be exhausted at the end of it. It means you went to hard. Or it means you just started back up and a little fatigue at the end is to be expected.

So, nyah!