Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year! and guess what--big brother is watching

Happy New Year! If you trolled my blog in search of resolutions, you won't find any here. I'm already working on most of the stuff I want to change in my life, and to that effect, today is just another day. Still, I hope that the new year brings more financial health, better oversight of our regulatory agencies that are supposed to be protecting us from Madoff et al, and peace in parts of the world that are desperately in need (Israel, Gaza, and my living room, for starters).

This scary little nugget arrived in my inbox today. I'm sure that merely by posting it, I'll be picked out for extra security checks the next time I head overseas to the UK. But in the interest of spreading the word, I'll take that risk. Remind me I said that next time I'm subjected to an hour of screening because I forgot to remove a banana from my carry on bag when disembarking.

I know this stuff exists on all of us. I know that if I applied for security clearance, my blog would probably disqualify me from the get-go. I thank God that I don't live in the 50s, where my leftist leanings combined with my choice of religion and support of the arts would quickly land me on a blacklist or two. But I often wonder if it's better to be the ostrich with my head in the sand and not know exactly what Big Brother knows and tracks about me and my best friend from first grade (Jaina Lindauer--are you out there?)

1 comment:

Applecart T. said...

well, yes, airplanes are so dangerous. the only way to travel now, i guess, is with a big wad of cash, a way to defend it and a deliberate detachment from anything with a magnetic strip or locator … cell phones, credit cards and that pesky passport.

how do you think i feel about voluntarily giving away my prints (all 10) to the fbi just so i can not lose my house (or have to work in retail … the pay is better) … hasn't happened yet. i'm so hoping i get a new job before the 13th.